Ron Gutman: The Hidden Power of Smiling
“When you smile you don’t only appear to be more likable and courteous, you appear to be more competent.”
Ron Gutman reviews a raft of studies about smiling, and reveals some surprising results. Did you know your smile can be a predictor of how long you’ll live — and that a simple smile has a measurable effect on your overall well-being? Prepare to flex a few facial muscles as you learn more about this evolutionarily contagious behavior.
As a graduate student at Stanford, Gutman organized and led a multidisciplinary group of faculty and graduate students from the schools of Engineering, Medicine, Business, Psychology and Law to conduct research in personalized health and to design ways to help people live healthier, happier lives.
Ron Gutman is the founder and CEO of HealthTap, free mobile and online apps for health info. He’s also the organizer of TEDxSiliconValley. Gutman is an angel investor and advisor to health and technology companies such as Rock Health (the first Interactive Health Incubator) and Harvard Medical School‘s SMArt Initiative (“Substitutable Medical Apps, reusable technologies”).
- momentary happiness please… Ted Talk (hunt4truth.wordpress.com)
- what is the happiest person in the world saying? (hunt4truth.wordpress.com)
- pets helping people heal… COOL! (hunt4truth.wordpress.com)
- heart coherence? and awake my soul (hunt4truth.wordpress.com)
- Want to be happier? Stay in the moment (ritholtz.com)
- 3 Ideas to Happiness (thechurchillian.wordpress.com)
- The meaning (and value) of a smile (michaelsbackpocket.wordpress.com)
- 13 TED Talks to cheer you up on a bad day (ted.com)
- How To Get Happy RIGHT NOW: 7 Quick Ways To Feel Better (businessinsider.com)
- Silver Lining of a mind in the clouds (mindblog.dericbownds.net)
- Ron Gutman: The Hidden Power of Smiling (my-socialexperiment.com)