when do we begin to become self-aware?
This is a significant discovery. Previously it wasn’t thought that babies had self awareness until around 18 months. More evidence that our brains come with a lot of preprogramming, that we are not born blank slates.
It also calls into question the previous gold standard of self awareness, which was the mirror test. If that test is really more about intelligence then self awareness, as seems more likely now, then a lot more animals may be self aware than are currently thought.
- Babies Are Born with Some Self-Awareness (livescience.com)
- Babies Have Self-Awareness From The Minute They’re Born (STUDY) (wonderfultips.wordpress.com)
- Don’t be fooled: Babies are born with some self-awareness (nbcnews.com)
- Babies are born with `built-in body awareness ability` (indiavision.com)
- Babies Seem To Know Themselves Soon After Birth (npr.org)